About Blackbutterfly Cards



I started making cards for pleasure in 2007, and quickly found my home was becoming swamped by cards everywhere. I decided to put some of them up for sale on a webpage in an effort to recoup some of the costs of my hobby. I called the webpage Blackbutterfly Handcrafted Cards, and it can be found at http://www.blackbutterfly2007.co.uk/

I try to take my cards to a couple of table sales or craft fairs a year, but make my cards mainly for friends and family. I would love the website sales to take off, as I nowhere near cover the costs involved in this all absorbing hobby, but for me the main thing is the pleasure I have in making my cards.
Recently I have decided to expand my blog to cover my other interests too. It's a sort of substitute for going to work and chatting to people, as due to ill health I was unable to work, and since the beginning of 2014 I am officially a pensioner.
Although I'll still show my cards, I'll also be covering my other interests and how I attempt to make ends meet day by day.

In fact anything that crosses my mind will be on here, so be prepared for waffle and a wasted five minutes as you read.
Make coffee and settle in, why don't you?




Saturday, July 31, 2010

Working hard......at last!

I've been working hard the last couple of days,.......... but on boring housework......... BAH!

I'd had a busy week and let everything go while I dashed here, there and everywhere. The dog hasn't been too well either which means more cleaning.
Any spare time that I had, I spent playing with my cards, I'd much rather do that than washing, and cleaning and dusting, but there comes a point when you can't turn a blind eye any longer!!......
Despite that, I have managed to make a couple of cards this week.
 I had an order come through for a first birthday card  for a little boy. Apparently he likes Thomas the tank engine, so I did an internet search and found a free digi image to print and colour myself.
Like many people I find men's cards particularly difficult to make, and in my case it extends to 'little' men too! Anyway, I made a card which the grandparents were happy with, and as the child is only 1yr old, as long as he likes the picture he'll be happy too, I'm sure.

Sorry everyone, but I'm still stuck with that awful camera that bends the shots and gives an awful grainy blotchy colour finish. I desperately need a new camera, but goodness knows when I can afford one. I hope you can bear with me on this one. One day you'll come on here, and be greeted by wonderfully clear pictures......................"oh look!..........there goes another flying pig!"  But there's no harm in hoping and wishing is there?

The second card I've made in the last few days, started out as a wedding card. I received a couple more stamps from Lili of the Valley and the wedding one is soooooooooo sweet. Anyway, I began to colour it in and by the time I'd finished, I could see it was going to have to be a Golden Wedding card. Do your cards take on a life of their own and decide on their own  format?  Mine do...........ALL the time!
Here's the finished result.

I coloured with promarkers, dabbed a few stickles on her dress( the wrong colour really, but it doesn't matter). Then I decorated the edge of some heart embossed paper with a Martha Stewart punch. Some gold ribbon & bow attached, and Wild Orchid paper flowers used to decorate. I love their flowers so much, that just lately everything I make seems to have them stuck on somewhere. The wording I made on the computer using my Decadry Express Xmas programme. I honestly don't think I could make cards without the help of this piece of software. For planning layouts, and making sentiments, inserts, and resizing images I've never found it's equal. Plus it's "idiot proof", and as I get older I find that's a definite advantage!

Its been suggested by my Housing Association that I might like to show/sell some of my cards at a table sale in September. I've jumped at the chance, should it go ahead, but it's not definitely decided yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

In the meantime, I'm thinking of offering some of my more elaborate cards on E-bay. Just to see how they go. I had some on Misi, but I had no sales from them, and I don't really like the new format. So I'll try something new, you never know do you? Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cards Lynne, Absolutely love the anniversary card! The flowers really set it off!

    Good luck on the sales - where-ever you make them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards Lynne, the anniversary card is gorgeous.

    Hope you do well on ebay!

    ReplyDelete